Getting to know Lindsey Sharp

What do you do?

The simplest way to put it is that I support enterprise teaching and learning tools, dominantly the Canvas learning management system. This tool is extremely important to our students and faculty as most of them will use it extensively to facilitate teaching and learning. 

What led you to this career?

I’d graduated with my MSW from UIUC’s School of Social Work, and I was having a lot of trouble finding safe and fulfilling work in that field. The jobs I held post-graduation were high-burnout and low-impact and I was miserable. I had heard through a friend about a part-time job on campus supporting the Moodle learning management system, specifically staffing a live chat system during off-hours. Very shortly thereafter, Illinois started its relationship with Coursera (I still have a newspaper clipping my grandmother sent me asking me if I was involved in “this MOOC business”) and there was suddenly a lot of work to be done. I really enjoyed the work because it was creative, it supported important work others did, and the results and gratitude were really uplifting. 

What behavior or personality trait do you most attribute your success to, and why? 

I am a problem solver and I don’t have a huge attachment to “how we’ve always done it”. This creates an enthusiasm for new ideas, new ways of doing things. I’m also open to trying things that might not work. I’d rather fail and try something else the next time than stagnate. I suppose that’s not a single trait, but it all adds up to being a good partner in innovation. 

What is something interesting that you enjoy doing outside of work that may surprise your colleagues?

I don’t know about interesting or surprising, but I love to roller skate, paint, and read science fiction. Lately my hobbies have mostly been following what my kids are up to but that works out well because they’re really cool people. 

If you had a whole day to do anything you wanted, what would you do?

I’d go to the forest. I grew up in a place where I could hike alone for miles right outside my back door and I miss that. I prefer living in town because of the social aspect and the convenience, but there is something sort of magical about solitude in nature. 

What makes someone a good leader?

Humility and empathy are extremely important to me in a leader. A lot of folks believe that leading is having all the ideas yourself and pushing your perspective onto others. The best leaders support others, both in terms of supporting their ideas and their projects but also supporting them to lead full lives outside of work.