Getting to know Tracy Whittaker

What do you do? 

I am the service owner for Classroom Technologies at Technology Services. I provide day to day support for the technology in the general assignment classrooms. In addition, I am involved in the planning for those spaces along with promoting our services. Internally I work closely with the Help Desk, the Classroom and Conference Media Engineering (CCME) engineers and technicians, Audiovisual Planners, Networking, and the Communications Team. Externally I interface with the Registrar’s office, Facilities & Services, the Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL), and other Departments/Colleges on behalf of Technology Services as it relates to the classrooms. We work to ensure the student experience in the classroom is not disrupted by the technology. Ideally, their experience is enhanced by the technology and associated support.

What led you to this career?

After selling Real Estate in a variety of markets for almost ten years, I completed my Master’s Degree in Human Resource Education here at Illinois. Then I was hired as an instructional designer on the Training and Education Team for the Illinois system-wide Banner implementation. I had a few different positions on that team including process and procedure development and management positions. From there I joined Technology Services. I have worn several hats in my time here including instructor support and training, technical writing, audiovisual project planning and oversight, and in my current position I pull all those groups together to deliver our service.

What’s a song or type of music you listen to puts you in the best mood and why?

I like pretty much all music, but I almost always have my PC set to WXRT out of Chicago. I love the variety of music and the DJ’s. Call me old fashioned. For live music you can usually find me listening to Jazz somewhere around town. Live music of any sort is appreciated, but Jazz is probably my favorite because there is so much variety to be had.

If you had a whole day to do anything you wanted, what would you do? 

Spend the day on or at the ocean. Any ocean or sea will do except maybe the Arctic.

What makes someone a good leader?

Listening, sharing credit, being persistent, leading by example, a relatively clear vision, and a desire to continually learn.

Where do you have the most impact?

In the classrooms for both the instructors and students.